Once your app is built and polished, the only thing standing between you and an engaged audience is distribution. We recommend launching your app in two waves.
1. Soft Launch:
The first round of distributing your app should be during a soft launch. To do this, have your key stakeholders download the app and get their feedback. Did they find something you missed? Is something not as user-friendly as you had hoped? The best way to iron out the kinks is to have those most invested find them for you instead of sending them out to your entire target audience.
2. Public Launch:
Once you've received all the feedback you need, you're ready to plan the next wave of app distribution. There are a few ways to get the app onto your employees' phones. When building your app, discuss with your CSM if you would like users to receive a user authentication message via email or SMS messaging.
- Email- this is the best format for most companies. Tell employees to open the email on their phones and click the link. If they don't get work email on their phones, tell them to forward it to their personal email.
- Text- this works well if you have access to employee mobile phone numbers. When they open the text, it will provide them with a link to follow and a temporary password, just like the email option.
- Website- this option works well if most employees don't have a work email or don't have it on their phones. Tell your users to go to [mycompany.com]/app where you have included the download link.
- Print- best for a post-launch event: especially if you create a QR code on your download link or you list your website url as described above.
- MDM (Mobile Device Management)- best for companies that issue and control mobile phones where you can remotely force install the app.
Once you believe you are ready to go, send the following email (or a similar one) out to everyone you wish to download your app:
I am excited to share that we have created our own internal app! This app was built with you in mind. Through this platform we will be able to share internal events, key milestones, and celebrations; centralize resources; recognize employees; gather feedback [etc etc].
To launch our app we will be [having an event ___]. [Insert incentive]. Here is how you download it:
- Go here [insert link from Emplify] on your phone (if you don’t get work email on your phone, FWD this to your personal email)
- Your phone will prompt you to enter your iTunes/Google Play password
- Wait for the app to download (if you have issues downloading the app, please see our article on Troubleshooting)
- Open app and type in your email address all lower-case
- The app will ask for you to enable location and push notifications. Select "yes."
- Put in your temporary password found in a separate email in your inbox from "user-admin"—this is only valid for 72 hours.